P N O’Gorman Auctioneers are delighted to handle the sale the of former CBS School on behalf of the Congregation of Christian Brothers, this historical landmark site which occupies a commanding location overlooking the town.
The Christian Brothers have had a long association with New Ross arriving in 1849 on the invitation of Rev. James Walsh Parish Priest, the Order quickly established a presence and for well over a century and a half educated many generations of Rossonians. The Mount St. Joseph’s site was home to their Victorian Monastery (which is currently leased to Youth New Ross) and the imposing 2 storey school building together with a number of prefab classrooms. It is accessed by The Bullawn and is a familiar site on the New Ross skyline.
The Site & Buildings
The site which extends to c. 2 acres (0.8ha) contains;
The imposing two storey former primary/ secondary school building which was completed in 1925/ 26 on the site of an earlier school which was a single storey building which dated to 1849 . The current structure remains largely unchanged, with its 8 classrooms and associated facilities. The estimated floor area of this structure is c.5,000sq ft (464.5 sq m).
The Monastery building, dating to the mid 19th century is currently leased to Youth New Ross until 2031.
The sale presents a superb opportunity to acquire substantial properties standing on a sizeable c. 2 acre (0.8ha) plot adjacent to the Town Centre, and much admired Norman Gardens. Auctioneer Anne Carton believes there will be significant interest from various sectors including housing development, tourism, health care and education given the incredible potential for repurposing these historic buildings which are steeped in local history.